First in a series ...
Antibacterial gels, Bleach and chemically loaded cleaning agents are ways to keep you clean from bacteria. But these can also be very harmful to the body, killing good bacterial for example or even be known carcinogens.
What are ways that you can boost your immunity naturally, without the use of chemicals and harmful anti-biotics? READ ON...
Unlike anti-biotics, probiotics promote the growth of healthy bacteria in your gut and as so many in not just the alternative medicine world realize, our modern medical field is recognizing more and more that most illnesses begin in the "Gut". Over 200 clinical studies are beginning to support the early promise of some probiotic treatments, and scientists are rapidly expanding their knowledge of how microbes interact with our bodies and how probiotics might be rationally employed both to treat and to prevent disease. (11) Being shown to boost immunity, reduce digestive issues, promote proper elimination, improve skin and so on, seem to be enough reasons to take a healthy dose. Because antibiotics destroy the "good" bacterial at the same time as the bad we only recommend a few higher dose probiotics to rebuild. This product is a good one to start to rebuild your "flora" after post-antibiotics. On a daily basic, our favorite most convenient and shelf stable probiotic is this one (use the code: MYBESTME for up to $50 off your 1st purchase)
2. Vitamin C
- Top the list of immune boosting supplements. As the saying goes "An extra dose of vitamin C a day keeps the infection away!" Well, not really BUT vitamin C can support your immune system and even decrease or shorten your illness if it hits! (Ref: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,7,8, 9, 10)
- People who have pneumonia tend to have lower vitamin C levels, and vitamin C supplements have been shown to shorten the recovery time
- It's also an antioxidant, working to protect cells from the damage caused by free radicals. Additionally, vitamin C helps the body make collagen(yay for joints and wrinkles!)
- Helps improve the absorption of iron from plant-based foods.
- Assists in reducing and managing inflammation. Inflammation reduces immunity!
- There are other potential benefits to0-May help manage blood prssure, may help lower heart disease, may help reduce blood uric-acid levels and decrease gout, protects memmory as you age, helps prevent iron deficiency and potentially many more...
- There have also been some positive indications with larger doses for the Covid-19 as well.
- Fruits and vegetables like green peppers, citrus fruits, strawberries, broccoli and leafy greens are all great sources of vitamin C though, to be consistent or get more, supplementing is often needed.
- How much to take? Most people do not need more than 3000 mg a day according to most. Of course the FDA recommendation, as with eveything is far below the optimal amounts shown in more recent studies. Remember though, your body can not absorb more than 500-1000 mg at a time and will likely urinate anything above that so break up dosing. People with chronic liver or kidney conditions, gout, or a history of calcium-oxalate kidney stones should take no more than 1,000 mg a day. CLICK HERE for the one we recomment most. Why? Highly absorbable, organic, no fillers... (Enter Code: MYBESTME for up to $50 off your order)
3. Weight Loss and Nutrition
Excess fat around your middle can turn your body's defense system against you, leading to heart and other diseases. Australian researchers found that obese individuals, shedding just 10 pounds could rebalance an off-balance immune system.
Scientists have known for some time that excess body fat, particularly around your middle, triggers the production of "pro-inflammatory" immune cells, which circulate in the blood promoting inflammation in our bodies and reducing immunity.
All this said, HOW you lose weight matters! To help your immune sytem while doing so it is crucial to be flooding your body with optimal nutrition. In other words, NOT crazy fad diets that take it off fast without a balance of nutrients. We'll talk more about nutrition in another post. For now, I'll share with you that I lost over 10 lbs. in the last 3 weeks and offer up a fun challenge (below)to join me for the next 10 lbs., fun, motivation and tips.
How did I get my but back in gear and do it...a low glycemic (just like I used to teach in classes ) /Keto style plan but a very "clean" one! No bacon and pork rinds but instead, avocados, olive oil and both organic vegetable and free range sources of protiens etc. Here is the one thing I take EVERY DAY on or off an eating plan to ensure optimal nutrition, alkalize my system and reduce cravings. Green Spectrum (Enter Code: MYBESTME for up to $50 off your order)
Beside making some shifts in my diet, I joined an online/app diet challenge. I found it to be great motivation( I am a little competetive ;)). There were great tips and encouragment throughout and the end goal was to win some CASH at the end. I did win too, $54.06 to be exact. Not bad. With all the time we have on our hands at home now, we have no excuses for not taking a walk or doing meal prep! CLICK HERE for more info and to play
4. Colloidal Silver
Who would have thought taking silver would help you with bacteria or viruses? This is something my household has been using for years to treat a multitude of maladies-Conjunctivitis, croup, skin irritations, bronchitis, ear and sinus infections. In fact this is the only " antiboitic" my daughter Mikaela has ever been on for any of these issues. It amazingly has antibiotic, anitbacterial and antiviral properties and was frequently used before the invention of today'a antibiotics. There was recently a great article in the Well Being Journal (a magazine we absolutely recommend, available at Whole Foods, Barnes & Noble and some grocery stores) , complete with scientific reference on all the ways and benefits of this amazing, healing liquid. CLICK HERE for the direct link. The brands we prefer can be purchased HERE and HERE.
5. Nasal Flushing
Got a stuffy nose from allergies or a cold? Nasal irrigation or flushing can help. You pour a saltwater (saline) solution into one nostril. As it flows through your nasal cavity into the other nostril, it washes out mucus, allergens and potentially germs. If you are someone who takes antihistamines, has Lyme diseas or a whole host of other maladies that give you the potential for dry-eye, dry-mouth and dry-sinuses, you will love this. Yes, it feels extremely weird at first but it is strangely soothing right away too. Getting used to it takes no time and I recommend doin this morning and night normally but perhaps once or twice more these days to help keep the passages moist and flowing to better flush germs from your system. Mikaela, Liam and I have been doing this for years, exspecially if someone feels under the weather. Our favorite way to do it is with this Nasal Syringe.
As you all know, I could spew nutrition and wellness all day long. Even just giving you 5 things, turned out a little long. If you have any more questions, please feel to comment or email me directly and I'll do my best to answer them all! For now and until the next one, we are open with restrictions (call to see if you can come in) and above all stay healthy!
With all my heart,